The customer drills I-beams made from A36 structural steel using a Ficep structural beam drilling machine center with mist coolant.
Tool used: YG-1 spade drill
- Hole diameter = 0.875" ( 22.23mm)
- Hole depth = 0.4375" (11.11mm)
- 650 RPM
- 0.010 IPR (0.25 mm/rev)
- 6.5 IPM (165.1 mm/min)
- Tool life = 20 holes
In need of improvements, the customer requested a solution that would provide more tool life from the drill inserts.
Allied recommended the Original T-A structural steel drill.
Tool used: Original T-A structural steel drill insert (item 151A-0028-TW) and holder (25010H-004IS052)
- 440 RPM
- .010 IPR (0.25 mm/rev)
- 4.4 IPM (111.7 mm/min)
- Tool life = 1,500 holes
The Original T-A structural steel drill easily met the customer's goal.
- Increased tool life from 20 holes to 1,500 holes
- Reduced cost per hole from $2.02 to $0.22
- Cost per hole savings = 89%