The customer is drilling solid steel plates made of 44W structural steel. They are using a Daewoo 4020 D 20HP Vertical Machining Center with 300 PSI through tool coolant.
Tool used: Dormer HSS Twist Drill
- Hole diameter = 13/16" (20.65mm)
- Hole depth = 4" thick plate (101.6mm)
- 525 RPM
- 0.010 IPR (0.25 mm/rev)
- 5.25 IPM (133.35 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 1 min 12 sec
- Tool life = 25 holes
The customer requested a tool that could break the chip, as they were getting ‘bird nests’ around the spindle every time.
Allied recommended the GEN2 T-A Drilling System.
Tool used: GEN2 T-A insert (item 450H-0022-HE) and holder (26005H-075F)
- 1230 RPM
- 0.007" IPR (0.18 mm/rev)
- 8.8" IPM (223.52 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 45 seconds
- Tool life = 1,500 linear inches
The GEN2 T-A eliminated the poor chip formation while significantly reducing the cost-per-hole.
- Reduced the cost-per-hole from $14.00 to $0.70
- Total cost savings of 95%