The customer is machining wind energy ring gears made from 8620 using a Mazak Integrex 1550V-II with 800 PSI of water soluble coolant.
Tool used: Sandvik 880 Drill
- Hole diameter = 1.3" (33.0 mm) drilled from both sides
- Finished depth = 13.15" (334.0 mm)
- 984 RPM
- 0.004 IPR (0.1 mm/rev)
- 3.94 IPM (100 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 1 min 51 sec
- Holes drilled = 22 holes per index
When the customer changed the size of the part, it was discovered that the 880 Drill could not achieve the extra depth required to complete the job. The new required depth of the hole was 14.4" (336mm).
Allied recommended the GEN2 T-A product to solve this application.
Tool used: GEN2 T-A holder (item 24025S-125F) using a GEN2 T-A special insert designed to make a very small chip
- 472 RPM
- 0.012 IPR (0.30 mm/rev)
- 5.66 IPM (143.7 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 1 min 16 sec
- Tool life = 44 holes
The GEN2 T-A special insert design made a significant difference for the customer.
- Achieved the drill depth requirements
- Produced small chips
- Reduced cycle time by 40%
- Doubled the tool life