The customer manufactures blade rings made from 410 stainless steel for the power generation industry. They are using a horizontal machining center with flood coolant.
Tool used: Walter IC drill
- Drill the hole
- 550 RPM
- 0.0035 IPR (0.089 mm/rev)
- 1.9 IPM (48.3 mm/min)
- Hole diameter = 2.00" (50.8mm)
- Hole depth = 7.00" (177.8mm)
- Cycle time = 3 minutes and 40 seconds
- Tool life = 15 holes
- Two passes with boring bars
- Total cycle time = 5 minutes and 30 seconds
Unsatisfied with this process, the customer asked Allied Machine for a solution to reduce cycle time and decrease the overall production cost.
Allied recommended the Revolution Drill.
Tool used: Revolution Drill holder (R36X35-150L) with insert (item OP-05T308-H)
- 1200 RPM
- 0.003 IPR (0.76 mm/rev
- 4.3 IPM (109.22 mm/min)
- Hole diameter = 2.00" (50.8 mm)
- Hole depth = 7.00" (177.8 mm)
- Cycle time = 2 minutes
- Tool life = 30 holes
The Revolution Drill significantly decreased production time by eliminating the two additional boring passes.
- Decreased the cost per hole from $11.88 to $3.91
- Total cost savings of $23,873.76 (67%)