The customer is drilling wheel loader frames made from A36 structural steel using a MAG Giddings & Lewis horizontal boring mill operating at 125 HP with 400 PSI through-tool coolant.
Tools used: Two Sandvik twin bores
- Hole diameter = 4.17" (106mm)
- Hole depth = 4.33" (110mm)
- 458 RPM
- 0.006 IPR (0.152 mm/rev)
- 2.75 IPM (69.85 mm/min)
- Tool life = 4 parts
- Cycle time per pass = 1 minute 34 seconds
- Total cycle time = 3 minutes 8 seconds
The customer needed a better way to complete this application. They asked for a solution to decrease cycle time and increase tool life.
Allied recommended the Opening Drill.
Tool used: Opening Drill
- 732 RPM
- 0.005 IPR (0.127 mm/rev)
- 3.66 IPM (92.96 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 1 minute 11 seconds
- Tool life = 9 parts
The Opening Drill completed the process with only one tool versus the two tools previously needed. The solution also eliminated lost time due to multiple tool changes, saving the customer both time and money.
- Reduced manufacturing costs by 62.2%
- Increased tool life by 125%