The customer manufactures lawn mower components from low carbon steel for the heavy equipment industry. They use a CNC machining center with a water solution as a coolant to manufacture their products. The part in this application is a lawn mower deck adjuster.
Tool used: OSG 3 flute TiN coated tap
- 500 RPM
- Size = 14mm
- Through hole = 1.140” thick
- Tool life = 500 holes
The customer needed to increase tool life and reduce overall tooling costs. They were also concerned with their carrying costs, tool inventory, and tool change down-time.
Allied recommended the AccuThread 856.
Tool used: AccuThread 856 4 flute pin style thread mill (2.0 pitch, 4 flutes)
- 450 SFM recommended
- Lowered to 300 SFM to allow for break-in time
- .003 IPR
- Cycle time = 2 passes
- Tool life = 2,500 holes
The AccuThread 856 successfully accomplished the customer's goals.
- Increased tool life by 400%
- Offered long term advantages over tapping
- Improved spindle up-time
- Consistent quality of the thread size and fit
- Minimized tool change setup
- Eliminated scrap