The customer machines gear blanks made from 4140 (40 Rc) using an OKUMA OSP 5000 horizontal mill with flood coolant.
Tool used: Mitsubishi high feed mill
- Hole diameter = 2.47" (62.74mm)
- Hole depth = 1.60" (40.6mm)
- 1000 RPM
- 0.060 IPR (15.2 mm/rev)
- 60 IPM (1524 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 3.5 minutes
- Tool life = 16 holes (per edge)
The customer needed to improve cycle time and asked Allied for a more effective solution.
Allied recommended the Revolution Drill.
Tool used: Revolution Drill holder (R42X22-CV50) with insert (item OP-05T308-H)
- 395 RPM
- 0.006 IPR (0.15 mm/rev)
- 2.3 IPM (58.40 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 50 seconds
- Tool life = 48 holes (per edge)
The Revolution Drill significantly improved the customer’s process. The cycle time decreased while the tool life increased, providing a lower cost-per-hole for the customer.
- Decreased cycle time from 3.5 minutes to 50 seconds (76%)
- Increased tool life by 20%
- Lowered the cost-per-hole from $5.39 to $1.24
- Overall cost savings = 77%