The customer manufactures battery packs made from hard plastic for the aerospace industry. They are using a Haas VMC CAT40 taper VF3 running without coolant.
- Morse cobalt twist drill
- 630 RPM
- 0.008 IPR
- Cycle time = 1 minute 23 seconds
- Kennametal boring process
- 1168 RPM
- 0.003 IPR
- Cycle time = 1 minute 59 seconds
- Hole depth = 7.0″
- Hole diameter = 1.0625″
- Total cycle time = 3 minutes 22 seconds
The customer needed a more cost effective solution. They asked Allied Machine to decrease the cycle time and reduce the overall cost of production.
Allied recommended the Original T-A
Tool used: Original T-A insert (item 1C22A-0102) with holder (24025H-125F)
- 1200 RPM
- 0.004 IPR
- Cycle time = 1 minute 57 seconds
The Original T-A reduced the cycle time and provided substantial reduction in cost.
- Completely eliminated the boring operation
- Decreased cost per hole from $13.41 to $2.87
- Total cost savings of $1,053.81 or 78.60%