The customer machines flamecut A36 mild steel plate weldments using a radial arm drill machine with flood coolant.
Tool used: Cleveland twist HSS taper shank drill
- Hole diameter = 2.5" (63.5mm)
- Hole depth = 4.0 inches (102mm)
- 60 RPM
- 0.003 IPR (0.08 mm/rev)
- 0.18 IPM (4.8 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 22 minutes 13 seconds
- Tool life = 75 holes
Because this drilling operation was ineffective, the customer requested a solution to improve performance.
Allied recommended the Original T-A drill.
Tool used: Original T-A drill insert (item 135T-0216) and holder (22050S-005I) with a rotary coolant adapter (item 2T-6SR) for improved coolant
- 115 RPM (restricted by the machine)
- 0.012 IPR (0.30 mm/rev)
- 1.38 IPM (35 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 2 minutes 54 seconds
- Tool life = 300 holes
The Original T-A significantly improved the customer’s process, providing substantial cost savings from multiple areas of the operation.
- Decreased cycle time by 80%
- Reduced cost per hole from $28.36 to $3.90
- Increased tool life by 4x (300%)
- Total cost savings = 86.2%