The customer manufactures components for the military industry. The contractor was tasked with drilling and boring large holes into 4150 steel (30 Rc) using a Mazak slant bed lathe with soluble coolant.
Tool used: HSS drill
- Hole diameter = 5.625" (142.87mm)
- Hole depth = 10" (254mm)
- 100 RPM
- 0.005 IPR (0.127 mm/rev)
- 0.5 IPM (12.7 mm/min)
- Tool life = 10 holes
- Cycle time = 1 hour 26 minutes
The customer needed a new solution that would increase the drilling speed of these large holes.
Allied recommended using the GEN2 T-A and the Opening Drill.
- GEN2 T-A Drill insert (item 457H-0400)
- 170 RPM
- 0.008 IPR (0.203 mm/rev)
- 1.3 IPM (33.02 mm/min)
- Opening Drill holder (OP4-1L-SS2.0) with insert (item OP-05T308-H)
- 700 RPM
- 0.004 IPR (0.102 mm/rev)
- 2.8 IPM (71.12 mm/min)
The solution of the GEN2 T-A and the Opening Drill successfully increased the speed of the hole making process. The solution also decreased cycle time for the customer.
- Decreased cycle time by 85.8%
- Reduced cost per hole from $30 to $3
- Total cost savings = 90%