The customer is machining structural steel tubes for galvanized towers using a custom built air liquid machining center with mist coolant.
Tool used: Kyocera Inserted Drill
- 800 RPM
- 0.004 IPR (0.10 mm/rev)
- Resulted in 3.15 IPM (80.00 mm/min)
- Through hole
- Diameter = 0.709" (18.00 mm)
- Thickness of 0.236 inches (6.00 mm)
- Cycle time = 4.4 seconds
- Tool life = 2,100 holes
The current holders were failing on a regular basis. The customer asked Allied Machine to provide a reliable solution with performance improvements to replace their current tooling.
Allied recommended the GEN2 T-A® Drilling System.
Tool used: GEN2 T-A insert (item 451H-18) along with a special length holder with a body designed specigically for the diameter.
- 800 RPM
- 0.010 IPR (0.26 mm/rev)
- Resulted in 8.19 IPM (208.00 mm/min)
- Cycle time = 1.7 seconds
- Tool life = 4,000 holes
The GEN2 T-A provided the reliable solution the customer needed.
- Reduced the machine run-time from 4.4 to 1.7 seconds
- Time savings of 61.3%
- Reduced cost-per-hole from $0.14 to $0.11
- Total dollar savings of 21.4%